Green and Thrifty




Green and thrifty fun this week: I made breadcrumbs from the crusts of loaves that didn't get eaten. First I toasted the bread in the oven on low, let it dry for a few hours, then blitzed it in the blender. If you make breadcrumbs like this you can store them in a jar on the shelf and they will last forever. Well, actually, forever is a very long time. It is more likely they will get used up on homemade chicken nuggets first.



I laid another couple of metres of brick path. Now, it does look like this is a path that is leading nowhere, but never fear, all will become clear when my master plan is completed, sometime before 2025, almost certainly.



I pulled out all my celery plants as I need the space for baby spring plants. I cut a lot of the celery and spread it on baskets to dry in the sun. When it is done I will grind it up and add to salt for celery salt to make my soft boiled eggs more interesting. If your celery goes to seed, you can also use ground celery seed to make celery salt. Ground up dried celery is also good to add to soups and stews. It is naturally slightly salty. You can also make celery salt with the leaves of the celery you buy at the greengrocers.

I planted more seeds and moved a bunch of self-seeded seedlings around to fill up the gaps in my flower garden.

My mum brought me rhubarb from her garden and we ate lemons, tarragon, rosemary, rocket, kale and the last of the celery from the garden.

Updated to add: The celery stems turned out way too stringy and stick-like when blended up, but the leaves by themselves worked fine and taste wonderful in tomato-based stews, especially bolognese sauce. Yum!

Comments

Linda said…
Love the idea of making celery salt. Having dried breadcrumbs on hand in a jar is a great idea too.
Jo said…
Linda, I have not dried celery before, so this is an experiment. However, the internet has done it multiple times, so I am optimistic!

Popular Posts