New Beginnings


Hello to you, my lovelies. It is I, I have returned from a long space of reflection and reorientation after my Dad died. It has been discombobulating, but here I am, still finding myself with things to say. It is the new year, well, sort of; happy February, and although it is really just another beautiful summer's day, I have bought into the zeitgeist, and I am contemplating the season of new beginnings, and find myself excited to begin another year.

2023 was somewhat brutal, and a season of endings. My beloved old puppy friend Benny left me, as did my Dad. I broke up with Paul after nearly six years together, a couple of weeks before Dad died. We are still the best of friends, Paul and I. He came to Dad's funeral, I went to his mum's birthday party, he came to ours for Christmas. We are both happy to be single and immersed in our own projects, coming up for air occasionally and waving and finding out what the other one is up to.

I saw him just the other day, up on the mountain, as Rosy has bought a campervan to travel around Australia in this year, and she is storing it up at Paul's place and they are tinkering on it together to make it safe and ship-shape for an early March departure. And you will be glad to know this - Paul has been declared well and cancer-free. At his latest six-monthly scan he was told not to come back for a year, and that all is most well. And that was a very good ending to a very difficult year.

And so onward to the next things. First, work. I don't think I've ever really talked about what I do now for work. I gave up my gardening job a couple of years ago because my hands and wrists couldn't manage the strain of it, and I was developing arthritis. I was so sad about that, but I had a call from a friend who wanted me to do some disability support work for her. After a few months I began working for another friend as well, and then for a friend of a friend, and now I work around twenty to twenty-five hours a week doing absolutely anything my clients can't manage by themselves, from walking the dog to ironing and cooking (hilarious! Cooking! Me!), meal prep, decluttering, driving, doing errands, shopping, and also some gardening, but not so much that the hands give out. I feel very privileged to be useful, and to be making life easier for some extra lovely people. 

This year I am planning to pack as much work into the afternoons as possible so I can go back to writing in the mornings. This past year I have written very little and have had work shifts all over the place. I find it difficult to exercise creativity in the midst of multiple life crises, and in 2024 I am hoping for less crises, more creative endeavours. I am more than halfway through my second novel, without having published the first novel, but that was more of a practice novel. And even if I never publish anything at all, I will keep writing. Creating a whole world out of nothing is extraordinary and addictive. 

Despite last year's crises and sadness and difficulties, I am full of joy. Every day is beautiful. There is blue sky and bees, there are zucchinis (so many zucchinis), there is very dear family, the kindness of friends, fulfilling work, the possibilities of the creative spark. I am so very fortunate. 

It has taken me a long time to get back to this space, but I am glad to be here, and looking forward to the splendid community of kindred souls who turn up here. Much love to all, and do tell me all your news xxxx


Comments

simplelife said…
oh how lovely to read your words and see you back in this space.
I'm very sorry you had so many endings last year and sadness.
cheers Kate
Anonymous said…
My friend! How wonderful to see another post. We carry our losses inside, and they are ingrained in our day. I am proud of you, my friend. You are doing some heavy lifting.
Life here continues with the normal activities. We have had some lovely cool weather, so I am enjoying more hours outside. The cold means the iguanas are dormant and leaving my plants alone. I have peppers, and tomatoes planted. I am harvesting fruit from my papaya tree, and I am so damn proud of it!
My hope for this year is to make reality some of the "One day I am going to..." projects I have in my head.I'll keep you posted.
Be well dear friend. Sending you much love.
Patricia
Treaders said…
I'm so sorry to hear you had such a roller-coaster of a year, particularly when I read that you had broken up with Paul. That is, until I read the next bit, where you and he remain good friends. I can't think of anything better! Onwards and upwards in 2024 then!
Mary said…
It's so good to see your smiling face! Sounds like your new work suits you. I envy Rosy. I used to want to spend some time traveling in a van around the USA, but I never could fit it in with all the other things I was doing. Maybe in my next life. I hope 2024 is a bit smoother for you and that your writing brings you lots of joy.
Blueberry said…
So glad to see a new post 2023 was a hard year. Just a few weeks it will be 30 years since I lost my dad. Having some Irish whiskey as I write this. Glad Rosy got the van, I love WA an NT have all the Len Beadell books funny a yankee talking about were to go in OZ. Being 75 my wife and I are getting to old for long trips glad we did the trips so many kind and wonderful people. Take Care Blueberry
Deborah said…
Hello!

Delighted to hear from you and know you are well. Your pragmatic approach to change is impressive! It's funny how the new year can make us reflect on our choices and plan to pursue things we'd vaguely considered or not thought about at all. Wishing you satisfaction and happiness!

Deborah
Jo said…
Kate, lovely to see you back here for the new year too. Here's to 2024:)

Patricia, I am so looking forward to reading about your progress on your 'one day' projects. Do tell me about the dormant iguanas. Do they dig burrows or hide under the house or climb trees or just loll on the lawn? Enquiring minds..

Anna, yes, it is all good, and Paul is healthy which is such a wonderful relief for us all.

Mary, I have lots of alternative lives to live as well:)

Blueberry, Rosy plans to head over to WA around April. I am so glad she is getting some adventure time. She has worked very hard to get to the place where she can take time to do it.

Deborah, yes, New Year for new beginnings makes sense but it is just another day, after all. And yet, we profit from having specific times for specific purposes. Of course, here in the southern hemisphere New Year is a whole different vibe.. also wishing satisfaction and happiness to you with your plans for 2024 xx
Fernglade Farm said…
Hi Jo,

You've had a rough year, and healing takes what it takes. Yet the sun still shines, the garden monsters related to Triffids which some folks call zucchini, threaten to take over the garden, and yes, there are the bees. The butterflies are worthy of mentioning as well, even those pesky cabbage moths which seem to be everywhere, and all at once. Soon there may be lots of green caterpillars, and so it goes.

Respect for your hopes for 2024 and may the world show you a more peaceful and beautiful side.

Hey, the Babaco papaya's finally ripened. Oh my, so tasty. I reckon you could grow them where you are, although they are a greenhouse only plant here.

Cheers

Chris
Gretchen Joanna said…
Yay! I knew you would come back. It makes me very happy to see your happy face. <3

Popular Posts