More Fun in the Garden, Indoors and Out

 

Look at this absolute pair of sweethearts. All Red wanted for Christmas was a friend for Simon the Tabby Cat so on the day the cat rescue place opened after Christmas we went and adopted this dear little poppet who had been in the shelter for months. She is blind in one eye and not very friendly, because she is scared. But after spending two days hiding under Red's bed we introduced her to Simon and she ran straight out, miaowing, and booped him on the head and gave him big kisses. She has been in love with him ever since. Red named her Quinni, and she lets Red pat her now, and mostly still just glares at me. They are both inside cats, but we wanted to give them a spot to catch some sunshine and fresh air, so we built a catio. Paul donated the tea tree branches, and he and I put the whole structure together one day, and then we borrowed an electric staple gun from my friend Sandra (who is queen of DIY and has made a magnificent catio for her own cats) and Red attached the chicken wire. We filled up the bottom of the catio with firewood rounds so the cats aren't tempted to use the ground as a kitty litter tray, and made a shelf for them from a fence paling. The kitties love their new vantage point.


Yesterday it rained and I cancelled my gardening job and made passata instead. This is this week's tomato harvest.

I chopped them up and boiled them down, then added some basil donated by my friend Lesley. She planted basil in pots and kept them in saucers which always had a bit of water in them, and has a magnificent basil crop. I think basil wants more water than I have been giving it. I will try Lesley's technique next year and see if it works for me.


Four tubs of passata go into the freezer. Earlier this week I made a huge plant-based chili with last week's tomato harvest, plus zucchinis, onions, garlic, mushrooms, lentils, black beans and kidney beans, and a jar of 2020 salsa that I have been trying to use up for three years now. Only a few to go.


After yesterday's rain this morning the ground was in a perfect condition for weeding, adding manure and compost and planting pea seedlings for spring. I added some extra protection from blackbirds who love to dig up baby peas. I still have another tray of pea seedlings which germinated later than these. Next week I will plant them on the other side of the trellis.


This is half of my capsicum crop! These are mini capsicums, about the size of a cherry tomato, and very cute. I got them from a local seed library, and I will save the seeds and plant them again next year. Maybe a few more! The mini ones are good as they form and ripen a bit faster than full size ones. We often have quite cool summers here in Tasmania, and capsicums don't always ripen, but I think these tiny treats are winners. I think they would be adorable stuffed, but who am I kidding, I have never stuffed a capsicum in my life. I will probably cut them into tiny crudites and eat them with hommus:)


I've had these antique chairs in the dining room for years. They are horizontal surfaces and attract clutter, and they are a little bit delicate, so if I use them as extra seating for a gathering they often break again and that's embarrassing for whoever is sitting on them. So I moved them to the attic.


I swapped them for these plants which have been living in the attic because I didn't have space for them downstairs. The ctentanthe was a tiny little plant I bought seven years ago and is now a giant. I have repotted at least two babies from her in that time. The fiddle leaf fig is the same age. I bought both plants to 'stage' my old place when I was selling it, in 2016. The fiddle leaf has grown straight up, and I am going to prune it in the spring to gain another plant, and encourage it to branch out. In the meantime, it gets to be tall. The begonia is from Paul, and he in turn received it as a cutting from one of his friends. The cats' water is under the begonia so they can pretend they are panthers in the jungle. I love my plants and cats. I am the cat/plant lady, which I think is a perfectly reasonable ambition in life for anyone.


A couple of weeks ago Rosy and I went to the adorably cute little village of Evandale to see the Glover exhibition, a Tasmanian landscape art prize. While we were there we went into an antique shop and I found this steel box which we both decided that I needed. Because it is a steel box I should probably store important documents in it, but as it is, all that is going to escape from the house fire is my seeds:)
It is such a cute box. It has layers! Up the top I have the seeds I am planting right now (broad beans and peas).


Underneath there are all the other seeds, and bags of empty seed envelopes for seed saving, and a bag of plant labels so I remember what all my plants are called. On the side are my seed sowing aids: plant labels (icy pole sticks), a sharpie, sticky tape and scissors. All set for planting all the things now.



The last thing I have been up to while it has been wet is fertilising all the indoor plants. This should really have been done in spring to give the plants some nutrients in the warm growing season, but let's not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. Good enough, that is. It's good enough that it isn't actually winter yet, right? So, because many of my plants are attached to the walls I can't take them outside anymore, so I brought in a pail of potting compost and some pelletised chicken manure, and fertilised and topped up all the plants in the house. I think they enjoyed it. I am enjoying my indoor jungle. 


Tell me, are you also the crazy plant lady (or gentleman)? Do you spend your spare time training plants up walls and around windowsills? Isn't it fun?



Comments

Treaders said…
I'm not a crazy plant lady as I don't like plants trailing up the walls BUT I do love plants. That being said, I can't grow basil (or coriander) for love nor money, so if you succeed do let us know!
Gretchen Joanna said…
I am shamed, and hopefully inspired, by your tidy storage of seeds and planting implements. If I would ever spend enough time on the project, maybe I could force myself to reduce the number of seed packets sitting around getting too old to be viable. And the planting tools and row markers and etc etc... I have enough of all that stuff for a half-acre garden but the reality is two planter boxes and a few big pots.

Your metal box is perfect; I'm sure I could find around here a similar sized container to have as a goal, though anyone sensible could manage with an even smaller container.

Your indoor "garden" is oh so homey and refreshing. But I better not get inspired by it; I would have to change all my furniture and arrangements of it, and put in a few windows, in order to accommodate such beautiful plants. It's easier and a pleasant pastime to stop by here and get a peek at your achievements.
Jo said…
Anna, I am one of hose people who can't stand coriander, so no help from me, but here's what I know in theory. Here in Tasmania you plant coriander in the autumn and let it grow over the winter, as it bolts to seed as soon as it gets warm. I'm not sure when you'd plant coriander in a colder climate. Maybe someone here can help. It also bolts when transplanted, so it's best direct seeded wherever you want it to grow. Basil loves heat, nutrients, and, as I have now discovered, more water than I thought it did!

Gretchen Joanna, it's fun to broadcast old seeds throughout the garden and just see what comes up! Or feed them to the birds, as long as they haven't been chemically treated. I have only two rooms in my house that get enough light to really grow plants well, and I make the most of them:)
Anonymous said…
Late in life I have become a total plant lady (not sure why the lateness), and have plants throughout the house. And I love them.
Started harvesting the Loquats and tomatoes this week. No luck with the peppers. Will replant pepper seeds again.
Love the catio. I am not much of a cat person although I feed several strays. On my recent trips to visit my daughter her cat ( who completely ignored me for the past 12 years), has taken to laying on my chest with her paw on my cheek and purring. My daughter says it's "energy" work. I think its the bonding of two aging females...its endearing.
Enjoy the rest of the week.
Patricia
Deborah said…
Hello!

I want a metal seed box, too!
Tonight we have the first rain for months so I'm pleased I added bentonite and fertiliser to all the beds and most of the pots. It has been a long, harsh summer in Western Australia and the garden was getting a bit sad. More rain please.

We are also still enjoying tomatoes. I make enough ratatouille to last a few days and we eat it hot and then cold. I seem to make bruschetta every week, too, but the rain makes me think of thick soups and making more sourdough bread. Eating only what is seasonally available makes us look forward to the bounty particular to each season of the year.

Deborah
Mary said…
I love the story about Simon and Quinni! It's so heartwarming. I've wanted to get a companion cat for my elder cat, Spit, because until a couple of years ago we always had at least one other cat. And although she was never really friends with any of the others, she still seems to miss having another cat around. However, our dog Buster is aggressive towards cats so I wouldn't want to bring another cat into that sort of environment. Buster is a wonderful dog as far as people are concerned but doesn't like other animals.
Fernglade Farm said…
Hi Jo,

It's great to see Simon's new mate. A cool name too. Hey, we once had five dogs - names were thrown around from friends, which kind of sounded like what you said! :-)

You have an enviable climate for growing vegetables. It's a bit cooler here, so peas are a spring through summer plant. They won't over winter, that's the time for kale and mustards which get sweet in the cooler climate (starches turn to sugars to lower the freezing point of the leaves). Coriander grows here at the same time as beans which is a longer season than peas, and is now producing seed before then promptly flopping over. All very sad, but I rarely ate the stuff.

Capsicum, one can but only dare dream! Respect to you. On the other hand, the slim jim eggplant have finally produced fruits and we ate one this evening. And so much chilli. Lot's of chilli. Lot's of fiery mouth too if over used. Oh well. The tomato season has been ordinary, but not as bad as last year. The perennial rocket is nearing the end of the season.

Cheers

Chris
sustainablemum said…
Your seed box is perfect, I use an old ice cream tub. I used to have a house full of plants but with two children the space for them has been replaced other things. I do have a house plant that is over thirty years old, it is thoroughly neglected but is still going.
Jo said…
Patricia, clearly you are becoming a cat lady:) Your daughter's cat knows you are kind to stray cats and is presenting you with your karmic reward:) I have not become a crazy plant lady until the last few years either. I think it has been for the reason sustainablemum gives below - children and their things. But my plant collection is growing organically, as I have learned how to propagate and plants multiply all over the place!

Deborah, everyone should have a metal seed box! Here's to you finding a nice one. Ratatouille is a great idea. I think I will do that tomorrow. What do you use bentonite for? Is it a corrective for sandy soil? That is such a tricky soil to work with, especially in your dry conditions. I have a lot of respect for WA gardeners!

Mary, animal relations can be tricky. We have an elderly cat who lives outside or in our back porch because she hates all other cats.She likes to be the queen of the back yard though, and 'helps' me in the garden.

Chris, I did not know that is how the kales etc get through the winter, thank you for that educational snippet! I live in a little urban heat island so I can get away with growing various things in the winter that country folk can't out in the open. Have you tried peas in your green house in winter? And capsicums in the greenhouse in summer? I would love to have a greenhouse to play around in!

sustainablemum, I get the kid thing. Also pets who like to chew on houseplants. I would love to now the name of your 30yo houseplant. My oldest is about 8yo I think, a ficus benjamina.
And an icecream tub is a fine seed container. My old one was the children's toy wicker picnic basket from the op shop years ago. I just had a moment where i wanted to be fancy:)
Johanna said…
I love reading your blog. I have a lovely grey cat named Isla who I adopted from the pet rescue as a kitten.

Just wondering...are you still following the macrobiotic diet?

Iook forward to your next blog.

Johanna xx.
Jo said…
Hi Johanna,
Pet rescue cats are an amazing mixed bag. We've had two friendly cats and two very stressy cats over the years. My elderly tortoiseshell is now 14 yo and has just this year started to allow me to pick her up. We have had her since she was six weeks old, but she was abandoned as a kitten in terrible circumstances and it has taken her all this time to be able to relax.

re macrobiotic diet. I have never strictly followed it, but I was very interested and had Madeleine explain it on the blog for us. My diet for the last couple of years is based on wholegrains and vegies, which I am really loving, and then other days I fall off the wagon for whatever reason and exist on peanut butter toast and cake..

Popular Posts