Early Autumn Garden Life



Sunday: Today I weeded two (very small) garden beds ready for winter planting. One of them has a lot of self-seeded granny's bonnet plants in that I will pot up before I plant the bed out with more lettuces and winter greens. The other still has some sad little capsicum plants that are going to provide me with approximately four mini capsicums when they finally ripen. I finished weeding under the pea trellis, and dug up two potato plants. You can see the enormous potato harvest above:)

However, while not large it's enough for four meals for me.. I made the potatoes into potato salad, and made a completely home-grown meal: Sauteed zucchini, tomato salad with home-made dressing, potato salad. 


Then half-way through the meal I remembered I'd also cooked kale to have with it:

Here's my tip. Always check all pans on the stove before serving up dinner. Can't go wrong. Anyway, I am rather chuffed to be able to say that I grew everything on my dinner plate, including the tarragon and rosemary on the potato salad. Not the mayo. I didn't grow the mayo.. I didn't grow many potatoes this year, but the few I have grown have been so delicious, I am determined to grow more in spring. I know I can grow all my vitamins - all the greens and fancy additions such as tomatoes, but I haven't ever really provided any of the carbohydrates in my diet, so here's to summer 2024 being potato year.

So while I was cooking dinner I got up from the kitchen table where I was reading to check on the potatoes or kale or what-have-you, and when I sat down again, I saw I had used a zucchini as a bookmark. I do that all the time, absent-mindedly mark my place in a book with random objects. So there's a thought for what to do with any zucchini you may have lying around. 


 I looked in the vegie crisper today and all that is in there is a bag of carrots from the shops and a ziplock bag of washed garden kale. Everything else lays about on all the kitchen surfaces. I have found that all the vegies except greens, peas and beans actually keep better out of the fridge, even cucumbers. Fridge vegies go mouldy whereas bench vegies just dry out eventually, but before that they keep remarkably well. On the other hand, then the kitchen benches are covered with produce all summer. I love to garden, but I am not that keen on the cooking bit. Eventually, when I run out of room on the kitchen benches I am forced to cook some of it. Also, I make giant salads with the tomatoes and cucumbers. Rosy has convinced me that thin slices of raw zucchini in sandwiches are delicious. Extra crunch and no cooking!

My last garden job for the day was sowing radish seeds. And then my seed order arrived. Mostly flowers because I am planning a huge and glorious flower garden next season, but some veg as well. This is only half my seed order, from Tasmanian seed company Veggie Garden Seeds. Their flowers are to die for. I also have another order with my old favourites, the cheap and cheerful Seed Collection from Victoria. 


Most flowers need to wait for spring, but I put in yarrow, larkspur, cornflowers and lots of peas and greens (must have food to go with flowers) here in Zone 9b.


The Next Sunday: This is where the flowers are going to go. It is currently a wasteland of weeds about 3m by 6m on a west facing slope on well-draining loam that is packed with a hundred years of rocks and bricks that have been thrown there by previous owners. Here is how it looked before I started weeding: upper half.


Lower half.


Did a bit of weeding while procrastinating over the stupid painting, and rescued and terraced two little miniature peach trees. Or possibly nectarines. I shall look after them better and surround them with flowers and they will be very happy. I will have to do more terracing before planting flowers or they will just fall down the slope. Luckily Paul has an almost infinite supply of rocks at his place, many of them with my name on them.


I popped down to the local toy shop on the public holiday on Monday and picked up a lot of cardboard to use as weed suppressant on my vegie garden paths and on the paths I plan to dig out in the new flower garden. It is not pretty, but very effective. I will top them with wood chips, eventually.


I dug up the last of the potatoes which were planted in the weed garden, soon to be flower garden. I might plant some more potatoes there next year. Potatoes were first grown for their pretty purple and white flowers when brought to Europe from South America. It took awhile before people could be persuaded to eat them.

Also, look, my first full-sized tomatoes (grosse lisse) have ripened. 


Let's finish with flowers. This is my top bee garden, at the top of my vegie plot, and just underneath my back verandah. I also have a bottom bee garden, which is a strip of flowers between the top and bottom vegie garden plots (following?). Next year I will have a giant (for me) extra bee garden where my weed garden currently flourishes, which will border the vegies on the southern side. Then the vegies will be nearly completely surrounded by flowers, which probably won't be as sinister as it sounds.


This is the mini larkspur I transplanted from the front garden. I have just received a packet of giant Salmon Queen larkspur, which sounds very exciting:)

How does your garden grow? Are you a flower enthusiast, or are you more a food gardener, or do you like a native garden? I love all three and have different garden spaces for all of them:)

Comments

Treaders said…
Here in France I'm in zone 8 so have to hold back for about another 8 weeks (they say not to plant out before 15 May). It's so frustrating so I envy people with slightly warmer winters (though not their hot summers)! I'm sure your garden will be beautiful!
Beznarf27 said…
I am a "grow whatever the possums hate and the rats won't eat and the chooks can't dig up" kind of gardener. So far that has me at perennial basil that I am trying to perpetuate on the kitchen windowill with some success (2 have roots!) and salvias of all kinds because "hardy as stick" and "possums won't eat". I am going to have a garden FULL of black, red and white currants because they taste foul to the possums. There's a thread going through these garden choices of mine ;) I have banksia roses as you guessed it...the possums won't eat them! Green things can be grown in protected garden beds because despite rates being Houdini's they don't like greens so YAY for that! At least we won't get rickets. The flowers on our property do double duty in that their predominate reason for being there is to attract beneficial insects but I do love the smell of honeysuckle, even though I am not a fan of how crazily it grows out here. OH for a small contained garden sans possums!
Jo said…
Anna, it's fascinating seeing the that everywhere there is local garden lore dictating safe, frost-free planting dates. For Blueberry in Florida it's Easter, for you it's May 15, for us in Tasmania it's the second week of October, which in the Northern Hemisphere would equate to the second week of April.
Fran, you're going to get very thin eating only eating basil, currants and greens:) I do know possums don't eat daffodils and jonquils, or rhododendrons or azaleas. All of them are pretty but not edible! Paul grows his vegies in a half rainwater tank with a little solar-powered electric fence line run round it. Possums stay away from electricity!
I found possum poo in the garden a couple of months ago - they came to eat my apricots, but then they left. Thank goodness. We certainly don't have the concentration of possums in the city that you have in the bush.
Good luck with your vegetable fortification scheme. Think of Patricia in Florida who has iguanas eating her veg, and Mary, who I think is in Georgia? She has armadillos trashing her garden.. how any of us ever harvest anything is a true mystery..
Blueberry said…
When growing potatoes try and due a 3 year rotation to help control the scab. Understand about armadillos best not to handle them without gloves carry some nasty bugs. The joke about armadillos is they are possum on the half shell. Good Luck with the winter greens. Due you grow collards? Our place is a mix of veggies fruit trees and nut trees with lots of native plants some of which are on the endangered list. Mrs B must have flowers.
Anonymous said…
Jo: I meal of all home grown vegetables! That is my eventual goal! But, in order to do that I have to step up my game and grow more than tomatoes and peppers. I am visiting my daughter and her family in North Florida and we are hoping to do some gardening this week. My daughter is a beautiful gardener:Flowers, veggies etc. A hurricane in 2020 destroyed her garden, and she has lost some of her gardening mojo. I hope it returns.
As a make do kid of person, I am thrilled with another use for a zucchini. Bookmark? Brilliant.
Patricia
sustainablemum said…
I have not heard of zones for planting times, I have no idea what zone we would be here we can have frosts as late as May and then they can start again in September. I am still not sowing any seeds yet a few more weeks till I start, I think. We had a few inches of snow and heavy frosts last week. I try and grow flowers but am never very successful, mostly veg here.
Jo said…
Blueberry, i was just recently reading about potato scab - apparently the pathogens can survive for ten years in the soil.. I've not ever noticed scab here in the garden, but it's a big problem for local farmers.
I did my armadillo homework and discovered they can give you leprosy, but only if you undercook them. Make sure you have your armadillo steaks well done.
I do not grow collards - I've never seen them for sale here in Australia, only heard about them via the US. But I do grow every other green I can get my hands on, including some yummy weeds. I am with Mrs B re flowers.

Patricia, OR you can declare tomatoes and peppers a full meal!
I am so sorry about your daughter's garden. What a dreadful thing. No wonder she is reluctant to garden again. I hope she can get back the joy.

sustainablemum, I am going to do a post about growing zones. You can look up a map, if you're interested. Google "USDA hardiness zones UK". They can be very useful guides to what might grow in your area, but, also, if you've been gardening for a while, you already know! I am sure you know when exactly to start your seeds and plant the seedlings. I have also not grown heaps of flowers before, but I am determined to change that this year:)
Good luck with your gardening when the snow stops...
simplelife said…
I grow very fat, lazy and unafraid wallabies, an occasional possum and lots of greedy parrots. I used to grow some food for us too, but have given up and given the garden to the wildlife.
cheers Kate
Jo said…
Kate, sometimes gracious acceptance of Fate is the best for everyone:) I expect the wildlife would like you to grow them some more veg, though:) :)
Mary said…
Jo, yes, I'm in Georgia. I have never heard of eating armadillos but I know some people will try anything. The chance of catching leprosy from armadillos is practically nil, very few carry it. Our possums(actually opossums) are different from yours although they are both marsupials. Ours generally like half-rotten veg and fruit like garbage or compost and aren't normally a problem in the garden. They look fierce but are not aggressive and their main defense when they can't escape is "playing possum", which means they play dead very convincingly. This trick has saved more than a few from our dog who has no interest in them if they aren't moving.
I love the zucchini bookmark!
Jo said…
Mary playing dead would also be my go-to form of defence in any scary situation! Our possums are extremely cute with their fluffiness and big eyes as they look at you with one of your tomatoes or prize apricots in their furry little hands..

Popular Posts