Orange Soup for Winter Days




This is one of those soups I threw together one day using the only veg left in the house - and it is now our winter favourite.

Gently saute an onion. Add some curry paste and garlic. Add several handfuls of red lentils and lots of stock, any kind. Chop up all the pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot that is left in the refrigerator crisper. Tip it all in the pot and let it bubble away until you are ready to blitz it up and eat it with toast. You can serve this with cream or coconut cream and nutmeg.

Today I discovered that if you bring it to the boil for a few minutes, turn it off and go out for an hour or so it will be done by the time you get home. I am going to use this lazy and thrifty cooking method more often..

Tastes better than it looks. Honest.




Comments

Treaders said…
I think any soup with lentils in it (particularly red lentils) has got to be my favourite. I will try your method though - sounds good to me. Anna
Jo said…
Anna, what is it about red lentils that makes every soup better? I love the texture, myself. And it is so handy that they cook so quickly. I am very bad at remembering to soak legumes in time for the meal they are intended for..
Lucindasans said…
We had soup last night. Split pea. Mr S cooks it as I don't have the patience. I like a faster cooking soup.

Yours sounds very warming and satisfying.
Jo said…
Lucinda, you have a treasure in Mr S. Tell me about these fast-cooking soups?? Faster than throwing pumpkin and sweet potato in stock? My soup takes about 40 mins from chopping the onion to serving up (assuming I don't go out for an hour in between..).
GretchenJoanna said…
Wow - that sounds so good! Even though it is summer here, we are usually cool enough to eat soup, at least in the mornings. Not this week :-) but usually...

Popular Posts