Dad


Two weeks ago my dad died, suddenly and unexpectedly, from complications after a surgery. We are all in shock. Death comes to us all in the end, but still, it is often a nasty surprise. Two weeks ago Dad was living a normal life, doing his thing, and then he was gone, and he will always be gone. That is the inexplicable part of death. Here, then not here. We who are left behind are still shaking our heads and wondering what just happened.

The other unsettling thing about death is that life goes on around it. The sun keeps coming up, the seedlings need watering, the bills need paying, we need to vote, we all still have to eat and feed the cats. Life is so insistent. A funeral, paperwork, hosting afternoon tea for all the uncles and aunties, having a houseful of grown-up children all of a sudden. And outside on the street there are all these other people walking around who are not going to a funeral today, who have not lost their dad, who are just living their normal lives. It seems extraordinary that that was me two weeks ago, just walking around with not a thought in my head that Dad would be going, that he would be gone. He is not here, a Dad-shaped hole in the fabric of our lives. 

He has been there all my life, fifty-two years of a dad there in the background of everything I do, and for Mum he has been a constant presence for fifty-four years, right there, without fail. And now, where he was, he is not.

"I keep thinking of things I want to tell him," says Mum.

It is the little things that sneak up and grab me. Mum asked me to pick up the things we had forgotten to bring home from the hospital. The kind nurse hands them over, passes on her condolences. And there I am holding Dad's red sponge bag, the same one he has used for the last forty years or so, and his glasses, just ordinary reading glasses, the everyday things that he used, and now here they are, without him. Things that mean Dad, but are not Dad.

And here we are, going on in time; it's two weeks now, since he went, and soon enough it will be a year, and then a decade. Our days will go on, but his have stopped. He is outside of time now, timeless.

I saw someone who looked liked him the other day and sobbed all the way home. There are still people on this earth who remind me of my dad, who are like him, but no-one is him, the particular flavour of human being that he was has gone from us and will not come our way again.

The sun still rises each day, the garden still blooms. I am back at work, I wash my hair, I make dinner. And yet. The world has tilted a little. The balance has shifted. A man who was my Dad, a man who enjoyed his life, a man who was loved and valued by many, a man with a very cheeky smile, has gone through a door and shut it behind him. I am almost waiting for him to pop his head back around the door and grin and say, "I'm back, I was only joking!" He'd do that.

But it's not a joke and he's not coming back. He's put his hat on, strapped on the old red rucksack, and headed out the door to his next adventure. 

Bye, Dad. I hope that wherever you are, there's plenty of cake xxx


Comments

Treaders said…
Oh honey I'm so, so sorry! I don't believe there's ever a "good" time to lose someone you love, but suddenly and unexpectedly is particularly cruel!!! I've written about this before but according to some people who claim to be psychic (I'm not one of them), a white feather is a symbol of your guardian angel. As we were leaving after my dad's funeral I had the most amazing "white feather" incident that it lifted my heart. It may all just be poppycock, but who cares if it gives you succor! My condolences to you, your mom and all your family! Anna
Penelope P. said…
I’m so sorry. What an awful shock to lose your Dad so suddenly. I’m sending you and your family love through the ether, and will continue to think of you as you grapple with your ‘new normal’, which is such an adjustment. Lots of love PennyLxxx
Anonymous said…
Sorry for the loss of your DAD lost my DAD in 1994 and still think of him often. Many times when working on a project and getting no were say to my self what would POP due! In my heart I know one day I will see him again and my MOM. Jo you are in my prayers. Take Care Blueberry
simplelife said…
oh Jo, I'm sad for you. I have no words just love and care for you and your family.
cheers Kate
Anonymous said…
Thinking of you and your family during this time of deep grief, and pain. My heart aches for your loss. May you and your mom be surrounded by "tender mercies" (moments that will remind of love, or joy, and assuage your grief just a bit giving you some peace) as you navigate your days.
All my love, dear one.
Patricia

Jo. So sorry for you for the loss of your dad. Hope you're coping OK with the grief. It will pass, but the hole left behind never fills, for the departed never really leave us. They remain within our memories, but when you reach out to them to decry, "check out this monster slug, never before has a garden faced such predation from an almighty foe", and you're hoping to produce a laugh which falls flat upon the empty quiet air, you know they've gone. Life is invariably tragic, remember to look after yourself and those who remain. With condolences. Chris
Deborah said…
Oh Jo, I am so sorry.
Such a hard time for you, your family and friends. The sadness will feel overwhelming sometimes, let those who care support you. One day, the sharp pain softens into lovely memories.

My sincere condolences,
Deborah
Mary said…
Jo - my deepest sympathy for you and your family. My mom went just the same way, one day excited about getting released early from hospital, then a few hours later gone. The shock is hard to get your head around, but it will eventually be easier.
Jo said…
Hi Anna, what a lovely gift to find at your dad's funeral:) If my dad ever sent a sign it would no doubt be a goods train with double diesel locomotives at the front. His favourite! In fact I did see one a couple of days after he died..

Penny, yes, this new normal is really difficult to get my head around, as you can doubt tell from the post. Thank you xx

Blueberry and Kate, thank you. Believe me, I truly do appreciate your kindness xx

Patricia, I love your definition of tender mercies. For me, so far in life, there have always been small and wondrous joys even on the hardest days, and it was Mum who taught me to see them, so yes, tender mercies here for us:)

Chris, I taught Dad to prune the roses and the apple tree at his place, and he did such a good job, but this winter he WAY over-pruned the apple tree and it has pathetic little bunches of leaves struggling to re-establish themselves. His philosophy of always over-doing things on the principle of 'more is better' has outlived him and I laugh every time I see it. But next year I will prune the apple tree without him..

Deborah and Mary, thank you so much. Mary, yes, the sudden change from here to not here is the most peculiar transition.. it seems very unreal.
Gretchen Joanna said…
I am so sorry to hear this! It truly is a big hole in the heart, when someone so essential is gone from this earth. I still mourn my father, and think of things all the time that I wish I could talk to him about. May your father's memory be eternal.
Fernglade Farm said…
Hi Jo,

Just checking in on you. Are you doing OK? It sounds awfully twee to say so, but grief is a journey where no two people travel along the same path, despite what you're told.

The thing is, learning to live life when all we have to grasp onto are memories, is well, learning and growing.

We've all been there with pruning, and candidly I know little of this topic, despite a healthy penchant for feeding cut chunks of fruit tree branches into the scary old wood chipper! That machine is always hungry, like a Triffid, or the monster fictional plant, Audrey II - you know what I mean.

Hope you're doing OK, and I look forward to one day reading about your pruning efforts.

Cheers

Chris

Popular Posts