Flower Garden Epic

 After seven years of living here at Blueday Cottage the back garden is still more or less a clearing in the jungle. Every year the clearing gets slightly larger, and this year I am determined it will get much larger. At the bottom of the yard is an area of wasteland that I tend to weed once a year and then neglect, despite promising myself that things will change. This year is the year I am turning it into a flower garden. First I decided to make a path.


My thoughts are that if I put a garden bench at the end of the path I will go and sit on it to have a nice cup of tea, then immediately get up again to weed because it is impossible for a gardener to sit and look at weeds from close up for any length of time. This is the true purpose of garden benches. I started with the path, and then I had to do some digging for the wide part at the end where the bench will go. Because I am working with a slope I had to dig at one end, and then build up the other end with a rock wall. I go to visit Paul every couple of weeks and fill up the car with rocks for my wall building antics. His land is 99% rocks so basically I am just clearing off his front lawn for him.

For the low side of the path I have been collecting all the stones and bits of old asphalt and half bricks that I dig up in the garden, and use them as fill, then I covered them with the soil I dug up from the other side of the path where I am digging into the hill.


I think I am nearly done with the path. I just have to haul some heavy rocks from one side of the garden to the other to shore up the high side.


Meanwhile, back in autumn I ordered a lot of flower seeds, and planted the ones that would survive the winter. I have planted out larkspur, yarrow and blue cornflowers, and have a plantation of purple cornflowers to put in when I have hacked out some of the jungle on the lower side of the path. It has been a very wet winter so far, and the jungle is flourishing.

The cornflower plantation on my potting bench

I finally finished my summer painting job in the first week of winter, so the last wall of the house has been painted. I had to take down the clothesline to do it. That clothesline has always been too short - I have to fold the ends of my sheets over to hang them up, and then they take longer to dry, in what is already the shady side of the house. I thought at the time that I could only have a short line because there is a drainpipe in the way, however it occurred to me about two years ago that the line would pass well in front of the drainpipe, and it has only taken that long for me to get around to doing something about it.

So I bought a very long clothesline last week, and put it up on the weekend, with Red helping me by holding the end of the measuring tape and putting up the long rail and threading the clothesline through. I think we did an excellent job. I absolutely love the feeling I get when I DIY a thing. However annoying it was in the process, the satisfaction of doing a thing myself is priceless.

It is pouring with rain right now but tomorrow is forecast dry and I am so excited to wash the sheets and hang them out to dry tomorrow:)


It was tomorrow several days ago now, and I was just as excited as I thought I would be to hang so many sheets and towels on my new long clothesline. How wonderful when life is so joyous:)


In other news I tried to clean a light fitting tonight and broke it so now I am sitting in the dark to write this.. which should be a lesson to me not to clean things. I should have learned this by now..

In other, other news I have been writing this post since June, and maybe now is the time to post it. I am still slowly making progress on the new flower garden. It is currently mostly a calendula garden, for reasons of when I weeded this whole space, all I left were the self-seeded calendulas, and they are so happy now to have lots of space and light.


Calendulas are a wonderful medicinal herb. When the children were little and had sticky eyes - which for some reason so many children do when they are sick with anything, I would steep whole calendula heads in boiling water in a tea pot, then use the cooled water to bathe their sticky, irritated little eyes, and they would clear up really quickly. It's good for soothing eyes in general, as it is an anti-inflammatory. Used as a tea it also helps sore throats and colds in general. Its magical uses include repelling evil and inducing prophetic dreams. Also, "if a girl touches the petals of the marigold with her bare feet, she will understand the languages of birds." (Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs)
I have not attempted this last one, as I don't think I qualify as a girl anymore, but if anyone is willing to do the experiment, let me know..


My latest project is terracing the area of the hill right down next to the fence line at the bottom of the garden. While I was doing that I discovered that the lower 30cm or so of fence is covered by soil that has eroded down the slope over the years and is now busy trying to decompose the fence. The soil there is wonderful, loamy and filled with worms so I am slowly digging it out and hauling it back up the hill to fill in the terraces. I will have to make a permanent wall down there to save the fence. Maybe rocks from Paul's place, maybe landscaping bricks? There will be experimentation...

Meanwhile I have planted out a lot of cornflower and larkspur plants that I grew from seed in autumn, and now I am waiting for a couple of weeks until I can get all the seeds out and start the spring planting. So exciting!


What is going on in your gardens right now? Planting? Harvesting? DIY? Tell me all. I have missed your stories:)

Comments

Gretchen Joanna said…
I love SO much reading about all your rock work and paving and bench -- and all the flowers in your nursery! My, you have been busy. In the last week I have spent a lot of money on plants to go into the garden for the last two months of summer, mostly flowers for blank spaces where annuals were spent.

But I also planted greens in the vegetable boxes, which I read recently is good to do this month, to get them going before cooler weather slows them down. Last year I guess I was too late.

I don't remember ever doing so much in August before, midsummer... but I am loving it, and so far my back is holding up to all the digging and stooping and crawling. I spent two hours yanking wisteria vines down to where I could trim them, and thought it a miracle when the next day I was able to walk.

Do you have a stretching routine or anything like that, that you have to do in the evenings after a day of hardscaping? I bet you sleep well at night after your labors.
Jo said…
Gretchen Joanna, earlier this year I sprained my sacral iliac joint falling over on the deck (it was raining)(this is just a fancy way of saying I sprained my bum) and I could hardly get out of bed in the morning so ever since then I have been doing yoga every single morning, and it has been brilliant. I notice I have a lot more strength and flexibility in my back than I have for years. So for me, yoga=gardening superpowers.
You have done amazing things in the garden. Especially the wisteria. Wisteria is a thug. A very pretty, decorative garden thug. Well done!
Treaders said…
I'm in awe of your tenacity! It would take me years to hump all those rocks and soil around, but agree with you it is fascinating to use the medicinal uses of all those wonderful plants that our grandmothers knew about. Heck, I only just discovered the use of oregano oil to cure my sinusitis. It nearly blew my head off actually, so I'd say that's what cured it in reality. And I 100% agree with yoga being the panacea of life! Way to go you. It's so good to be hearing from you again!
Anonymous said…
How delightful to get an update! As usual your garden is inspiring.
For the last five years I've had a pile of brinks waiting to become a pathway. I have lacked the mojo to do anything. But, if you can get rocks from Paul's to do a pathway then I can make one too! I'll keep you posted!
Everything is lush and green, but my harvest of tomatoes and peppers as struggled with the heat and too much water. Flowers are doing better, and I have bursts of color through out the property.
Life continues with it's hills and valleys. Be well, my friend.
Patricia
simplelife said…
how lovely to have an update from you, well done on the landscaping, and DIY, so empowering.
no garden here, but lots of happy wallabies, possums and birds, can't have everything.
cheers Kate
Chris said…
Hi Jo,
Thanks for the update, and laughs. Who knew that was the true purpose of garden benches? :-) The rock walls are looking great and I reckon will serve you well, and yes, I like your adaptions to the awful realities of Peak Rocks. It's a problem. Thanks for the info on Calendula. Very interesting, and there are so many useful plants out in the garden. We're getting the garden ready for the growing season, and may venture off to the Diggers Club shortly to stock up on seeds. I have this inexplicable notion to grow turnips this year. Probably early on-set dementia... Are you going to trial any new plants this season?
Cheers. Chris
Deborah said…
Hello!
So lovely to hear from you. We've had the wettest winter for years so we also have more weeds than ever. I'm working on them, day by day. Could do with some of your rocks to create some more edging.

My husband and I went to yoga as a physio recommended he might strengthen his back with regular practice. After a few months he said it wasn't working and wasn't going any more. Too late, I was totally addicted! That was more than five years ago. Yoga is a wonderful balance for me as I also do resistance and weights twice a week. I'm a big fan of the Exercise as Medicine movement!

Good luck with your flower seedlings . Love spring flowers.

Deborah

Jo said…
Anna, oregano oil? Really, I will have to look into that. And yes, I am loving my yoga:)

Patricia, I am looking forward to reading about your new pathway. I tend to do most of these projects in winter as I don't like running around in the hot sun, so I give you full permission to wait for cooler weather:) I am glad you have flowers to compensate for the tomatoes. Sometimes it is just not a tomato summer. Last year wasn't great here for tomatoes, but I have been studying the art of tomato pruning, and I am going to give it all I've got this summer to improve air flow and sun for the tomato babies.

Kate, I am hearing you re wallabies. Paul is having hissy fits at the wallabies right now who are eating all the native plants in his new garden. He even built a fort out of pallets to protect his plant babies, but it appears that wallabies can get into anything in order to chew up their favourite kangaroo paws. Paul has now realised that electric fences are essential for every.single.plant.

Chris, I have discovered that turnips are very easy to grow, but then you have to eat the turnips... in the end the only way I have found to like turnips is to pickle them. Because everything tastes good when pickled. A friend gave me some spigarello seeds, which is an Italian green from the broccoli family, so I am going to try them this spring.. very soon. A couple of weeks to indoor seeding time!

Deborah, we have had the same weather, a warm, wet winter. Pleasant for humans, pleasant for weeds. But also pleasant for the winter veg. I have the tallest pea plants I have ever seen!
Oh, I am loving yoga. It has definitely worked its magic on my back. Takes about six months of daily practice, though. Also, I can now finally do downward dog with flat feet. That has never happened in my years of sporadic yoga, and of course, it took an injury to force me into making it a daily habit!
Mary said…
Yoga in the morning is a wonderful thing. I can't get started without it. Love seeing what you're doing with your garden. So maybe I need to put in a garden bench to get myself to weed my garden! Summer's been very hot and humid here continuously the last couple of months, so I've not been doing much besides picking tomatoes, sweet peppers, and figs, and watching hummingbirds and lightning bugs, both of which seem almost magical. Looking forward to October and cooler days. Earlier I finally got fencing put up around my veggie patch to keep out deer and armadillos. It's working great for that, but now the chipmunks have a safe haven from my dogs and are happily burrowing in to munch any tender new plants that sprout, like beans, kale, etc.
Anonymous said…
Hi Jo Glad to be sending the sun your way. You can have fun with the stones tell everyone if you know the right place to sit you can find the Southern Cross. In a few weeks will be planting a fall garden mostly greens and onions. The sweet potatoes are doing great this year have a high fence to keep the deer and other animals out. Sweet peppers have 8 of 12 plants still alive time to put some in the food dryer for the winter. 6 of 12 egg plants alive when things cool down will start getting a few more before the first frost which is sometime around Nov 20. How is your Cara orange doing? Take Care Blueberry
Jo said…
Hi Mary and Blueberry, as you can see from the latest post, I've been through a difficult time in the last couple of weeks. Apologies for not replying until now.
Mary, I think it was you who inspired me to take up a daily yoga practice, from a comment you left here, so thank you!
Blueberry, I used to go and stand on the front path every night when I put Benny out last thing, and say good night to the Southern Cross. I am still doing it now, but without my darling boy snuffling about.
The Cara orange is still quite small, and putting out its first flowers in this very early part of spring. I will let it flower a bit, then remove all the flowers this year to let the tree grow. It's vey painful to do that, but better for the tree's long term health. It will be at least year and a half until I see my first orange. Playing the long game!

Popular Posts