Three New Things


Margaret's garden - tea tree and bird houses

A week or so ago my mother asked plaintively if she had been dropped off the blog. My dad then explained that isn't how blogs work. Sorry mum, it isn't you, it’s me. Kind people have been emailing me to see if I'm ok. That is so lovely, and thank you. As you can see, I am still here, and my new year began at the end of last year with a string of good things.




Thing One: Yes, the article in the summer edition of Earth Garden with my name at the top. So very excited and happy to see this. The beginning, and gods willing, not the end, of the rest of a lifetime of writing things to send out into the world. And certainly not the end of sending words out into the world via All the Blue Day. Still so much to say :)




Thing Two: My first gardening job! This is me in my mushroom hat, which I have since mislaid, much to the relief of my children. I am in the beautiful garden of my friend Katherine, where I spent some pleasant and productive hours. Today I spent more hours in Margaret’s garden, which is one of my favourite gardens ever. I feel so lucky to have be working in such lovely surroundings with such good people.

Thing Three: There is.. a man. This was not part of my plan. I have so many plans, and none of them involved a man. All of them involved me being a woman alone. I was so content and happy to live my life on my own terms, make my own plans, think my own thoughts. But what happened? The universe brought me a man. I had no sooner set eyes on him, than I knew. Here he was. That one I hadn't been looking for. He lives in a wee cabin on a mountain where he thinks his thoughts and makes his things and hand-feeds bananas to skinks. And now I have two lives. My normal daily life in a cottage in the city with all the children (so many children right now. All of mine, and then some). And a second, secret life in a cabin on the mountain with the birds, the echidnas, the banana-loving skinks, and that man I accidentally fell in love with..







Comments

Penelope P. said…
Oh wow!! How lovely, all three of the things, how lovely������PennyL xxxx
Penelope P. said…
Those funny things were three smiley faces, in case you were wondering !
jj said…
'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.' so said that wise philosopher, John Lennon!
jj said…
PS I like your mushroom hat :)
Linda said…
Do you know, I wondered if there was a Man lurking somewhere! Grannies know these things! Happy New Year!
Jo said…
Penny, yes, lovely for sure :)

jj, yes, maybe I should just quit making plans and see what happens? Or maybe make plans, because, really, that is so much fun, but not be particularly invested in the outcome. Are you a plan maker, or do you go with the flow?

Linda, it's true, Grannies are omniscient :)
GretchenJoanna said…
Happy New Year, Jo! It's always welcome news to hear that your friends have been out of touch because of GOOD THINGS! Um... can I include Good People in that category of Things? So happy for you!
Jo said…
Gretchen Joanna, Good People, Good Things, we'll lump them all in together shall we?
Congratulations on your your own good things, travel adventures and beautiful grandbaby :) xx
Treaders said…
Yikes, a man. I remember them - two arms, two legs and a solid, chunky bit in the middle! Yep. Seen one of them recently. Seriously though, how lovely, all the more so since you weren't looking and were perfectly content all on your lonesome. Good for you. Anna
Jo said…
Anna, yikes, a man, my thoughts exactly!! :)
Pam in Virginia said…
Hi, Jo!

What wonderful news - all around - that you have! And it is so great that you have had the article published. I believe you like to be busy . . . no worries there!

Pam
Deborah said…
Happy New Year...you've made a great start! My mother used to say, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." You've just added a bit of magic to the hard work.....enjoy every minute.
Jo said…
Pam, I like to be busy in between naps. Best of both worlds!

Deborah, I am so grateful for all the good things so far this year. I am kind of holding my breath in case the gods notice how happy I am..
Heather said…
So happy to hear things are going so well for you!
Fernglade Farm said…
Hi Jo,

Good for you and may this year bring you lots of happiness! And more articles in Earth Garden and elsewhere of course!

Chris
Anonymous said…
So many lovely things, some surprising (the man) and some not so (you are a beautiful writer and of course your words have a place in the wider world). I am happy about all your lovely things. Sounds like 2018 might be a bit wonderful.

Kris xx
Hazel said…
Have a very happy 2018 :-)
SmallP said…
Gosh, what a fabulous three things. your chap sounds delightful :-) xx
Tanya Murray said…
I am beyond excited for you and ALL your news. You are a clever, engaging, ever young thing and deserve all the good things life and this new year brings. Much love Tx
Anonymous said…
Fabulous news Jo. You certainly deserve it. Happy new year. Loretta x
Jo said…
Well, thank you all lovely kind people for your good wishes:) If good wishes help to make a good life (and I am sure they do), then I am all set xx

Popular Posts