What I Harvest in a Week & Gardening Jobs.

 I thought I might do some posts occasionally on a week of harvests from the garden. I am a very scrappy food gardener, and mostly forget about succession planting, but I realised recently that I do eat something out of the garden every day. Sometimes it's just a bay leaf, but sometimes it's enough for a meal. So here is a week of summer harvests from the garden, and a week of garden jobs. 


Monday: Eating tomatoes and home-grown cucumber pickles on toast for lunch. Transplanted baby larkspur plants from the front garden to my flower garden out the back. The front garden is my dry garden, but having transplanted an olive tree and a native shrub out of pots and into that garden a few weeks ago, I have been watering that spot, and lots of weeds and self-sown plants have sprung up, including the larkspur, which came from a 50c punnet of sad larkspur on clearance that I planted here six years ago. I haven't seen them since I stopped watering, but the seeds have been lurking in the soil all this time waiting for some moisture at just the right moment. Soon I will have a little larkspur garden as a bee magnet out the back next to the vegies. I love re-using plants!


Sometimes the harvest is very small. One Ronde de Nice zucchini, and the last handful of the first crop of green beans, which has been lush and prolific. The second crop of beans is coming along but it is not so enthusiastic. A different bed, different soil, may need a nutrient boost.

Tuesday: Pruned half the apricot tree. The best time to prune stone-fruit trees is after the fruit is finished. The warm, dry weather means less potential virus spread. Also, in my shady garden, lopping a metre of growth off the top of the apricot tree means another hour or so of sun on the tomatoes. 

Wednesday: Pruned the other half of the apricot tree. That's mostly done now, although I am a serial tree pruner, and sometimes while standing in the garden communing with a tree I realise that it needs a branch taking out to give it breathing space. I have a window of about a month to continue my occasional pruning habit.

I cut back the hebe bush which has just finished flowering. Hebe bushes get very leggy if not cut back regularly, and I have the added motivation of needing it compact in order to open the front gate. I also cut back all the Boston ivy around the gate and the letterbox so the postman can get to it. He arrived to deliver a package while I was doing this, and appreciated my handiwork. I am a gardener who likes appreciation.


Harvested a handful of tiny tomatoes, a zucchini, some rocket for a salad. I cut the last leaves of the winter kale which is going to seed, and pulled out the kale plants, thanked them for their service, and laid them to rest on the compost heap. I cut the seed heads off my very small dill crop. I have had very little success over several years growing dill. If anyone has dill growing tips, let me know. So far, I have had the most of my limited success growing it in part shade with lots of water. It seems very temperamental, but maybe it's just me.. anyway, the few heads I harvested yielded quite a lot of dill seeds, more than enough for next season's seed, and some for pickling. After a stressful week, pulling seeds off dill flower heads is very calming.


Thursday: Went out to put the sprinkler on in the back yard and accidentally weeded a whole garden bed ready for baby silverbeet and lettuces. I took out the winter silverbeet with stems as tall as I am, and have little babies the size of my pinkie to replace them with. This afternoon I went to the garden centre to buy some compost, and brought home two trees as well.. I have been looking for a nice mandarin and orange at a good price, and found them today:) A cara cara orange, which looks like a blood orange, and an emperor mandarin. Does anyone have these? Have I made a good choice? I am going to be planting them in half oak barrels on the narrow front garden strip which is bounded by a tall concrete, vine-covered wall. This wall retains a lot of heat at night which I am hoping will keep the citrus happy in the winter. I've been eating up nectarine and rhubarb crumble. Nectarines from my tree, rhubarb from Mum's garden.


Today I harvested another small handful of tomatoes. Tomatoes are still ripening on the dead tomato plant...

Friday: My neighbours went away and I am watering their garden and feeding their canary. They begged me to pick zucchini and cherry tomatoes from their garden - yes, it's that time again, Too Much Zucchini Season - and they also gave me a bag of perishable groceries from their fridge, so I am not harvesting from my garden today, or probably tomorrow either. I made banana cake with the neighbours' brown bananas. It's very hot, so all I am managing in the garden is watering.


Saturday and Sunday: It is hot, there are social activities. I water the garden. I have a little nap. On Sunday I paint the side of the house. This is the fourth year of painting and I am up to the fourth wall! This is a slow and painful process as I detest painting, not least because of all the stupid faffing about that needs to happen before you even get paint on the wall. 

I took a banana cake to a house warming, and gave half of the other one to Paul. My gardening consists of reading a detective novel while watching a turtle dove taking a bath in the birdbath, and admiring how the evening light catches the verbena bonariensis.

So here we are at the end of the week, starting a new one, even, as the week waits for no woman to get around to publishing a post. So here we are, in the middle of the next week, I'm picking grapes off my own grapevine! More soon..

Tell me what is going on in your garden this week, whether you have an abundance of tropical fruit or maybe you are snowed in..

Comments

Kathy said…
I bought some seedlings a few days ago which are on my kitchen bench and I need to plant them. I need to grow some rocket too and I don't think I've ever grown that before. Your garden must give you great joy picking something every day. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
Anonymous said…
Still weeks away from harvesting anything in my garden but soon! Tomatoes are looking promising. Peppers are teasing me with hope but still not sure I will have a harvest. Loquats and bananas within weeks. I had a very successful dill harvest 2 years ago, was so proud of myself. That.hasn't.happened.again.
I work out in the yard daily, pruning trees, and spreading soil. All the orchids I have attached to trees are blooming ( I have a friend who buys them as indoor plants and then gives them to me when they stop blooming). For about 3 months out of the year I have spots of color throughout the yard. Oh! the Joy!
Three of my citrus trees are looking good. The other 2 I refuse to give up on but... I am hoping 2023 will be the year of CITRUS.
Have a good week!
Patricia
Jo said…
Kathy, the kitchen bench is a great place to keep seedlings, because they look at you reproachfully every day when you are eating breakfast, so you have to plant them in self-defence:) Rocket is marvellous, as you can eat the flowers and leaves and also the seed pods, and you can use the seeds for pickling. It's such a classic autumn/winter green. I'll be planting some in March.

And yes, I am sure you can tell that my garden gives me great joy:) I am so lucky to have one.

Patricia, you have so much going on in your garden. Orchids on trees, what luxury! Fingers crossed for your citrus. I have been feeding mine like mad this season, chook manure pellets each month, and liquid fertiliser every few weeks. It has made a big difference to the leaves, which finally look really happy. We'll see how the fruit goes..
Blueberry said…
Hi Jo Looked up both citrus plants using duck duck go. Good choice for your part of the world. Found several sites in OZ with great info looks like the orange is on Flying Dragon root stock good choice. You have about 4-6 weeks to give the citrus a little plant food before the cool weather. Citrus needs Iron I find a few old rusty nail or small pieces of iron do the trick and will keeping feeding the plants for years. Just mix in the soil at planting. Love the veggies from your garden. Give my love to your whole family. Take Care
Gretchen Joanna said…
This is such a delicious post, and I'm not talking about the banana cake. I feel like I am there with you in your warm garden, and being with you reminds me that it will happen here again !! ...that I will find all these little tasks to do, various greens and squashes to pick, watering with the sun shining, and all the etceteras. Today my garden has a violent wind blowing down from the Arctic, I think, so I am only looking at seed packets with a blazing fire nearby.

I have never heard of pruning stone fruits in late summer. Is this anti-viral technique important mainly for your area, a particular virus you struggle against, or is this something I should know about for the Mediterranean climate such as I live in?

Your painting project is admirable. My father-in-law always took four years to paint his house, one fourth of it per year. You are so right about the prep work. I actually like laying the paint on walls... if only someone else would do the masking and drop cloths and such. What color is your house? Are you keeping the old color or changing?

Mary said…
So pleasant to read about your summer gardening and harvesting while we are on the tail end of winter/beginning of spring here in Georgia, USA. My harvests are often just a handful here and there, too, but I like that. I have been harvesting some spring onions, mint and oregano. Will soon have some spinach if the weather doesn't warm up too fast. I overwintered some tomato seedlings that I found in my compost pile just before Christmas when we preparing for a once-every-twent-years kind of freeze. And they are doing great in big pots now, but I have no idea what kind they are.
Blueberry said…
Update on the garden Planted 50 lbs(23KG) of seed potatoes, 20 lbs Reds 20Lb White and 10 Lbs of Yukon Gold. This is double what I planted last year lots of folks eat out of my garden. Will take the next 2 days off so my back can recover.
sustainablemum said…
Your garden seems so exotic compared to mine, so many things that will not grow here and which cost an arm and leg to buy you can walk into the garden to harvest. There is not a lot growing in my garden right now, I have cleared out the poly tunnel ready for sewing seeds in the coming weeks. I am not touching the garden just yet as I love to leave the dead heading until spring is truly sprung. The dead foliage is a good hiding place for all the good bugs and beasties who like the warmth. I shall be setting forth on that in the coming weeks.
Jo said…
Blueberry, that is such a great idea re the iron. I have dug up several iron spikes from the garden, I'll pop them in around the citrus babies. I feed my citrus throughout the growing season here. Used to be once a season for 3 seasons, but this year I have fed them every month, plus liquid fertiliser, and they are powering along!

Gretchen Joanna, watching the news I am seeing more Arctic blasts in your area. Eek, stay warm and dream of sunshine. Pruning stone fruit after fruiting in summer seems to be fairly standard garden advice. The problem with disease comes when you prune in wet weather and the spores from last year's viruses get back into the tree via the pruning cuts. Having said that, I imagine that you would get a lot less diseases in California than here in Tas, bc stone fruits love a dry spring and summer.
I am repainting the house white again. I went and bought a 20 litre can of paint 4 years ago, and I think it will just be enough!

Mary, mystery tomatoes are always exciting. All my tomatoes were mystery tomatoes this year, bc the cat kicked them off the table when they were in their seedling pots. All the best for spring planting, and hope the latest Arctic freeze hasn't caused too much damage in your corner.

Blueberry, that is not a garden, that is a small farm! I am so impressed by that effort, and would love to see photos of your garden one day! Hope the back is doing well. My coccyx hates me right now, and I am off to the osteopath on Monday. Not fun.

sustainablemum, I am discombulated at the idea of my produce seeming exotic. Tasmania being the coldest state we can't grow a heap of things that the other states can. But I guess it's all relative:) I am with you on keeping lots of hideyholes for the bugs. Plus, I love the dead heads of flowers hanging on over winter. They would look even more dramatic in the snow.

Popular Posts