Garden Days

I planted a packet of cactus dahlia seeds two years ago and forgot about them. This year they flowered for the first time and I was so surprised and happy.

Today I am bringing you several more days in the garden, because they are quite fun.


 
Wednesday: Today is a good day. One day near the end of summer you wake up here in Tasmania, to a chilly morning and an intensely blue sky. The air is still and clear as glass, and suddenly your hands itch to plant and harvest. The beginning of the end of summer is here, and the beginning of the beginning of autumn. It will get no doubt get very hot again throughout March, but the land knows: it is nearly time. 


I started out a day's gardening today trimming the grape vine over the deck. My neighbour was concerned that grape leaves will block her downpipe, fair enough, the leaves are kind of large, so I cut them back. While I was up the step ladder I cut the first bunches of grapes. This is so exciting. The vines are fairly dripping with grapes this year. I popped a basketful into the dehydrator to make my very own sultana bunches:)


Update on dried grapes: well, the difficulty lies in the fact that the bunches don't dry evenly. I either have crispy dried up grapes, or ones that aren't quite dry, but delicious. I have popped them into paper bags so they don't go mouldy and may have to eat them over the next couple of weeks. That will be so difficult..

The next job was trimming the ivy back along the southern fence. I love the high wall of ivy, but I don't love ivy flowers, which make me sneeze. The bees have been loving them for a couple of weeks, but that's enough of a turn for them, now it is cutting back time. The fun of this job is climbing on the shed roof to trim the hedge. The shed roof is below the level of the street, because my cottage is on a steep hillside. Before: here is the view from over the front fence.


Ivy trimmings are one thing I don't compost, because otherwise I would have a garden full of ivy, so I cut the hedge until I filled up the bin. The rest of this job will have to wait until the weekend when the bin is emptied. (Update, it will now have to wait until next weekend, because rain) After: so neat:)


Next I put chicken manure pellets, crushed egg shells and compost on the garden bed I cleared last week and gave it a good water. On the weekend I can plant the lettuce and silverbeet babies. I cut back a lavender bush and deadheaded the dahlias in the bee garden. I cut back some leggy chrysanthemum stems and brought them inside to root in a bottle of water. 


It has been a lovely, lovely day of pottering quietly and being so grateful to have a garden.


Thursday: Grated a lot of zucchini in the food processor, and froze it in ziplock bags for later. I squeezed out as much juice as I could before bagging it up, and fed the zucchini juice to the lemon tree. Nine cups of zucchini for the freezer. 


Friday: A big gardening day today, because I have a day off work. Gardening work at home is such a joy because I potter and stop to have snacks and read and play with the cat. I pruned the tomato plants first. It is about eight weeks to first frost, not enough time for more tomatoes to form and ripen, so I tip pruned the plants above the top tomato bunch so the plants can put their energy into ripening and growing the tomatoes that are already on the bush. 


I also pruned away the leaves that were covering up the tomatoes so they can have some more sunlight and ripening time. Before: can hardly see tomatoes.


After: Not a huge difference, but a lot more tomatoes visible now. I found a lot more to pick as well, now that I can see them all. Especially the ones hiding at ground level.



I hope you are appreciating my cardboard-covered paths. Ideally they would be covered in woodchips, but I haven't had any delivered this season, and the cardboard is not pretty but does an excellent job of weed inhibition. 

Climbing on the roof to prune the nectarines today. That was fun. And I cleared out two overgrown wine barrel tubs and planted the new citrus babies. Before:

Herb Robert, seaside daisy and warrigal greens. Big mess.

Snow in summer, gazania, cotyledon, weeds. Big mess.

These half wine barrels are over ten years old now, and beginning to deteriorate fast. If I could go back in time I would sternly lecture past Jo on the advantages of treating the inside of the tubs with waterproofing before planting in them, no matter how impatient you are, because in ten years time they will double in price, and then where will you be? Bit late now, so I will just hang onto them as long as I can and do better next time. Maybe. I am very impatient.

After: 

Cara cara orange tree

Emperor Mandarin tree
Last week in the comments Blueberry recommended some rusty iron in the pots, because citrus need a lot of iron, and don't always get enough. I have a collection of odd objects I dig up in the garden, and added several rusty iron spikes to the new citrus pots.

Saturday: It is going to pour with rain tonight so I have spent the day getting things ready. I pruned the grapevine which hangs over my neighbour's gutters, swept all the decks and paths, and trimmed all the wild growth along the paths so I can walk to the compost and the bin between showers without getting wet. 


This week a friend gave me a dahlia she didn't want in her garden anymore, so I planted that in my bee garden (dahlias, rudbeckias, salvia, sedum, Japanese anemones). 

Rudbeckia, from seed I planted in the spring, and a very pretty gifted dahlia in the background.

Japanese anemones. I brought these from the old house, and have dug up clumps of them to give away for years. They pop up everywhere.

The dahlia friend (one of two dahlia enthusiast friends) also potted up a heap of dahlia seedlings from her garden and gave me a couple. She has so many dahlias, they could turn out to be anything, although my dahlia friend says most of them throw back to yellow (dahlia enthusiasts are a bit snobbish about plain yellow dahlias, which is fair enough, because fancy dahlias are amazing and gorgeous). One of the two seedlings has buds on, and I am too excited to see what it will be. There is nothing like the bud of a new flower in the garden to send me mental with impatience. I am perfectly happy for it to be a yellow dahlia. I am not precious. I just want to see it! It is probably at least a week away..


Well, that is nearly all. Today I also fixed the pea trellis, which was sagging sadly. I bashed the iron droppers with a metal mallet until it stood up straight again. I can be very persuasive. Then I weeded all the grass and wild clematis out of the trellis, and this week will plant snow pea seeds ready for spring. All the winter veg will have to go in in the next couple of weeks. All hands to the wheel!


Yellow rudbeckia and pink geraniums. Not a classic combination, but I think it works. 

Tell me about your week in the garden. Did possums, deer, rats, iguanas or bugs eat everything? Did you plant some seeds, not quite able to believe that spring is around the corner, or as in my case, not quite believing that it will soon be cold enough for cabbages and spinach? I love your garden stories and advice:)


Comments

Anonymous said…
What a lovely garden, Jo!
Weekly works continues in my yard. I harvested the first tomatoes of the season, and look forward to more soon. A lot of my seedlings seem to be struggling or are eaten by a new little bird I discovered last week: Gray CatBird. I love birds but ...really? The iguana's have been behaving.
An avocado tree a planted years ago from seed, is full of flowers but I don't see any pollinators on it so not sure I will get any fruit. NONE of my citrus trees have blooms. NOT.ONE. I am also trying blueberry's advise.
The next months will be working on prepping for hurricane season (the anxiety begins).
Have a good week,
Patricia
Jo said…
Patricia, oh, my goodness, you have early tomatoes. It is the equivalent of your September here and my first full-sized tomato has just ripened! Congratulations on a new predator in your garden. I've read of catbirds, in Southern novels, but never seen one. I just looked it up, and it is very sweet, but then, lots of garden pests are..
Avocados can be weirdly self-fertile, although more than one tree helps. They change sex from morning to afternoon, so you can help by gently shaking the tree in the morning to shift the pollen from top to bottom.. tree sex is often insane..
Potassium can often help with flowering. I have found my citrus has really benefited from a monthly general feeding this year. It is looking better than usual. Who knew, it was hungry. I don't know about the soils of Florida, but I am thinking sandy? If so, nutrients just disappear, and citrus are such hungry trees.
Oh, yikes, what do you do to prepare for a hurricane? Nail down the roof? Move the yard furniture? Cross your fingers? I'm guessing I'm missing something..

Treaders said…
I love your garden - and I love your attitude! I saved some rudbekia seeds from a bunch I bought last year - I'll be curious to see if anything exciting happens!
Gretchen Joanna said…
Yes! I did finally plant my spring seeds, after putting off the job for two weeks, because of the cold. It was in the late afternoon when the sun was out and the chill was off, and thrilled me in a way that you would understand... my small counterpart to your entire day of satisfaction on the other end of the gardening year.

This story of your day in the garden was full of the glory proper to such happiness.
Jo said…
Anna, this is the first year I have grown rudbeckia. They are so cheerful, like little suns, and the bees seem to like them. I just ordered 3 more varieties:) I hope yours grow this spring. Part of the fun of experiments like that is seeing how they turn out!

Gretchen Joanna, oh, the first warmth of spring, that trust that it is now warm enough for the tiny seed babies.. yes, I know that thrill:)
Deborah said…
What a lovely wander through your garden! Very pleasant.

I was given dahlias, too, and they bloom and bloom but don't really last as a cut flower. Today we'll trim the rosemary bush and a plumbago hedge if it is cool enough in the late afternoon. My coriander seeds have appeared and the sage, too, and I've planted some lettuce, as well.

A good potter in the garden accompanied by the dog is a lovely way to start the day. I read this morning that 10 minutes of exposure to sunlight in the morning encourages melatonin and you sleep better. Hope it works

Deborah .
Anonymous said…
Jo: Technically our winter is ending but in South Florida we don't have much of a winter. I started my tomato seeds in January. Only one plant is giving me some tomatoes, the rest of the plants are in various stages of of growth. The weather is quite warm already.
I will try your avocado tree trick and see if that helps. My soil is "mucky" as it is filled swamp land with tendencies to FLOOD.
Hurricane prep involves lots of tree trimming, specially close to the house and property clean up. You don't want to have lots of things outside that can become projectiles during high winds.But, mainly crossing your fingers!!! Today it will be cleaning out all the storm gutters.
Happy Sunday!
Patricia
Jo said…
Deborah, I leave the dahlias to look gorgeous in the garden, but if you pick them half-opened they last longer inside.
I hope your morning walks lead to excellent sleep. I find several hours of gardening generally does the trick:)

Patricia, avocados love well-draining soil, I seem to remember when I was looking that up. Hope yours are on higher ground.. re hurricanes, I hadn't thought of tree trimming, of course. Am crossing fingers for you..
Kathy said…
The toilet pods are super easy to make takes about 10 mins to get everything out of the cupboard, mix it and pop it in small ice cube trays. Don't fill to the top as they expand as you are doing it. Leave to dry for 24 hrs then ready to use. Just pop one in the toilet for a couple of minutes, clean and flush. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
Blueberry said…
Update on the garden the potatoes are up and growing. From the time they start growing I like to begin digging in 60 to 70 days. Florida has a problem with scab on potatoes damages the skin so they will not keep. Plus I want to eat potatoes not chemicals. In a few weeks will start planting sweet corn, peas and beans. Having lived in this part of Florida since 1973 never had a frost after Easter, was told this when I first moved to the area! Take Care.
Jo said…
Kathy, thanks so much for this, I will put it on the to do list. For everyone else, Kathy's latest post https://oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com/2023/03/around-here.html
features homemade toilet pods, which appear to be tiny cleansing bath bombs! How to make toilet cleaning entertaining. Lord knows, it could do with an entertainment upgrade..

Blueberry, isn't it so satisfying how fast potatoes grow. I will show you my tiny small crop in the next post, not anything to write home about, but any crop is better than none, right? I will definitely put more potatoes in next spring. They really do produce a lot of food for little input.
Local gardening knowledge is like gold. Being confident when to plant out the tender babies makes garden planting so much better. Our local lore is not to plant out tomatoes until Show Day (local agricultural fair), which is in the second week of October. Although Easter, of course, is a movable feast. What if it is a very early Easter?
My favourite bit of gardening lore (useless for me) is from the novel Farmer Boy, that you plant corn when the oak leaves are as big as squirrels' ears:)
Blueberry said…
Easter is early this year the local rule works! The last 2 week everything is covered in yellow pollen the plants somehow know. Take Care
Mary said…
I really enjoy hearing about your gardening activities. You're so industrious! I need to try growing grapes. It's time to add to my list of fruit plants that won't bear fruit for one reason or another. I haven't planted much yet this spring because although it's been 75-80 degrees fahrenheit for a few weeks now (25 degrees Celsius I think), we are due for a late freeze this week. This happens almost every year. So I have tomato plants in the greenhouse 30" tall with blossoms already that I didn't want to put in the ground until after this (hopefully) last frost/freeze. Then I'll put out all the tomatoes and pepper plants, and seeds for squash, beans, pumpkins, watermelon, cucumbers and maybe corn. Also I need to fence in the veggie garden this year because deer and armadillos have become a major problem there.
Fernglade Farm said…
Hi Jo,

Your garden looks lovely. Thanks for sharing the photos. And cleaning up the mess, nice one! :-)

Hey, we keep zucchini fruits (marrows to be precise! Huge things, scary monsters) just in a dark cool cupboard where they over winter just fine. Must be eaten by early spring, otherwise big mess. Not good.

Thanks for the tip regarding citrus and iron, I hadn't known that. For your interest, lately I've been feeding them a mixture of coffee grounds + blood and bone (finely ground) + Agricultural Lime (Calcium Carbonate), and they seem to be responding well to the regular feed. Hungry things, but not much else provides fresh fruit in the winter months.

It's a bit cooler here, so the tomatoes are slow to ripen, but plenty of other plants are producing so there's heaps to eat. Yum! Had an amazing year with chilli's (jalapenos so not too hot). Eggplants are a joke here. The Babaco has lots of intriguing looking fruit, but will they ripen? Blackberries and raspberries did really well, but strawberries were a total bummer. I'm trialling alpine strawberries because the more usual larger berries are probably overly bred and don't suit my gardening style. Do you grow strawberries?

Cheers

Chris
Jo said…
Blueberry, that is so odd that the frost moves right along with Easter, whenever it is! Another garden mystery..

Mary, "It's time to add to my list of fruit plants that won't bear fruit for one reason or another." that is hilarious, and sadly so true of the gardening life.. ok, so I knew about deer being a problem in the garden, but armadillos! That is just preposterous! I have never even seen an armadillo except in pictures. I think they look like small dinosaurs, which seems like an exotic thing to have in the garden. So far, between us all, we have deer, armadillo, iguanas, rats, possums, wallabies, pademelons (basically small wallabies) and rabbits eating our gardens. Have I missed anything? It's a wonder any of us get to harvest anything at all. Oh, I forgot, assorted birds.

Chris, yes, zucchinis are surprisingly long lasting. Even if you cut them they can stay on the bench for days afterwards without deteriorating. I do like pulling grated zuke straight out of the freezer occasionally though. Makes whipping up a zucchini cake really quick:)
Thanks for your citrus feeding recipe. I've been reading about coffee grounds and their benefits. Lots of nitrogen, which I didn't suspect, and a good low pH which citrus likes. My daughter works in a cafe, so might lean on her for some..
I don't grow strawberries much because I don't have a netting system and the birds get them before I do. One day I may get around to remedying that. I think the alpine strawberries are a good choice. Apparently they have an amazing flavour.
Mary said…
In defense of armadillos, they don't actually eat the plants. They are insectivores and especially like grubs, but in digging out the grubs or whatever they tear up the plants. And they are very cute, plus when frightened they can jump straight up in the air and sometimes do a 180 degree turn .

Popular Posts